What is Bissap?
Bissap, also known as hibiscus tea or karkade, is a refreshing drink made from the dried calyces of the hibiscus sabdariffa flower. It is popular in many countries in Africa, particularly Senegal, Mali, and Guinea. It is also known and taken in the Caribbean and the Middle East. Bissap is a deep red-purple color and has a tart, slightly sweet flavor. It is often served chilled with sugar or honey.
This refreshing drink made from the dried calyces of the hibiscus sabdariffa flower. Bissap is a good source of antioxidants, including anthocyanins, which give it its red color. Anthocyanins have been shown to have a number of health benefits, including reducing inflammation, improving heart health, and protecting against cancer. Bissap is also a good source of vitamin C and potassium.
Some of the health benefits of bissap:
- Antioxidant: Bissap is a good source of antioxidants, which help protect the body against damage from free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory: Bissap has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Heart health: Bissap can help to improve heart health. The anthocyanins in bissap can help to lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels.
- Immunity: Bissap is a good source of vitamin C, which helps to boost the immune system.
- Digestion: Bissap can help to improve digestion. The anthocyanins in bissap can help to protect the stomach lining and improve the absorption of nutrients.
Bissap is a delicious and refreshing drink that is also good for your health. It is a great way to get your daily dose of antioxidants and other nutrients.
A simple recipe for making bissap:
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 4 cups water
- Sugar or honey to taste
- Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add the hibiscus flowers and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the desired strength is reached.
- Strain the tea and add sugar or honey to taste.
- Serve chilled.