This recipe of Cassava leaf sauce is also known as Kwem in Cameroon, a variation of Pondu in Democratic Republic of Congo.
- 6 cups water
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 hot chili pepper, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root, grated
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 lbs of cassava (manioc) leaves, stems removed, washed, rinsed and drained, torn into pieces
- 3 cups canned palm soup base
- 3 tbsp home-made Peanut paste
Rush the Cassava leaves with a mortar and pestle. In a large cooking pot, bring the water to a low boil. Add the Onion, garlic, ginger root, and salt. Cook for a few minutes. Add the crushed greens and cook, bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes more.
Add the canned palm soup base and stir until smooth. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the Peanut butter, stir. Continue to simmer until greens are cooked. Serve hot with boiled yams.
You must be logged in to post a comment.